Loose Leash Walking & Recall Duration: 6 Week Course (same time and day each week)
Location: Unit 9/ 281 Station Road, Yeerongpilly 4105
Calling all owners of pullers and runners! This six week intensive loose leash walking and recall course is geared towards dogs who easily lose focus or are over excited on a walk and excessively pull or don’t come when called.
Learn how to train your dog to come when called – this is such an important skill for all dog owners to teach their dogs. There’s nothing scarier than watching a dog take off while their owner helplessly runs after them, screaming at them to come back, especially if the owner is a younger child or elderly person. It’s terrifying, stressful, overwhelming and cause harm to the person walking them if they suddenly decide to bolt while on the leash.
This course is designed to teach your dog to ‘come’ when called each and every time and walk politely on a leash making the walk safe and enjoyable for both dog and owner. Our hands on curriculum concentrates on creating focused, calm, happy dogs while incorporating impulse control exercises. This 6 week course practical and fun using obstacle courses with distractions to teach your dog to focus on you in all scenarios, while progressively challenging your skills each week so that you become more confident when taking your dog on walks in an everyday environment.
Over this 6 week intensive training program you will learn:
- Loose leash walking
- Having and keeping your dogs attention and simple “leave it” commands.
- Come when called- from any distraction! Including how to set your dog up not to chase wildlife!
- It will also include tips on how to make the walk more enjoyable for both you and your dog.
Please Note: This class is not suited to dogs that show aggression or reactivity to other dogs on leash. Ideally you will have some knowledge of positive reward based training.
- Professionally qualified and accredited instructors with a passion for enabling dogs to become confident and resilient
- Positive reinforcement/reward based dog training
- Smaller class sizes – No more than 5 dogs per class
- Individualised approach and attention
- Fun, sociable and informative
- 6 x 45 minute sessions weekly
- Families, including well-behaved children 10 years and over are welcome.If your dog is nervous, fearful or experiencing anxiety it is not appropriate for them to be enrolled in a group environment. We can help you address the underlying emotion through our private behavioural consultation package. Our priority is your dog’s wellbeing. We believe that addressing your dog’s mental health is far more importance than tricks, manners or obedience. In fact, your dog cannot effectively learn if they do not have optimal mental health.
What To Bring
We are located in the Station Road Creative Precinct and the address is:
281 Station Road
We are located directly opposite the road from World Gym which is on the same street as Yeerongpilly Train Station.
Parking is available on-site or on the street.
DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG TO THE FIRST CLASS!
You MUST provide a current vaccination certificate or titer test certificate.
If it’s easier for you, you can email me or text me a photo of the proof of vaccination before the first class.
Here’s what you need to know, and what to bring to each class: –
- Fully enclosed shoes
- A standard Collar and leash (ideally min 2-meters long)
- A large snap lock bag full of your dog’s favourite treats cut into very small pieces
- A mat for your dog (optional)
For dog treats, we recommend you use chicken, turkey, ham, devon or cheese cut into really small pieces. No “Smackos”, liver treats or dried biscuits.
Why? Well, rewarding your dog for doing something really awesome with “Smackos”, liver treats or dried biscuits would be like rewarding a child with broccoli for learning the alphabet. These snacks are boring! and not very motivating for your dog.
At FUR GET ME NOT we only use positive reinforcement training techniques. We are not into harming our dogs, trying to dominate them or treating them badly.
DO NOT bring or use retractable leads, ropes or chains. We also do not allow or condone the use of check, choke, prong, electric, citronella or sporn harnesses and collars for your dogs. You will be asked to leave the course if you bring these.
Here is some other important information you need to know: –
- If you are late, even by a few minutes, you will not be permitted to enter the class so, please arrive at least 10 minutes before your class is due to commence.
- Everyone attending our classes, including children and all family members – Must wear enclosed, non-slip shoes at all times.
- Children under the age of 10 years are not permitted in classes.
- All dogs MUST be on a leash at all times and controlled by an adult
Your dog must remain on leash with a well-fitted collar or harness at all times unless instructed otherwise by your trainer.
Mosquitos and other bugs can sometimes be an issue, we will have repellent for personal use however you are welcome to bring your own.
Classes may be delayed at times due to weather or unforeseen circumstances. You will receive a text message with as much notice as possible if a class needs to be cancelled or rescheduled.